Wednesday 15 July 2009

More Wakeboarding!

At the end of June, Rich and I went to the Texas Ski Ranch, which is sort of similar to indoor skiing, but for wakeboarders/water skiers. There is a huge lake with a cable tow that runs in a loop round the lake about 20 feet above the water. The ropes feed down from that and tow the wakeboarders/water skiiers, basically until they fall off!

Unsurprisingly Rich is now awesome at this sport and spent hours circling the lake and learning how to turn and (attempting to) jump. I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong as I saw him walking back to the start of the tow after one of his turns, and then I realised it was because, unlike the rest of the wakeboarders coming back for more, he was carrying the handle and rope - unfortunately he had held on for too long while crashing into the side, and had taken them with him, a feat I didn't see anyone else manage while we were there.

I am still struggling with this sport, so took to the baby tow, and was unaware Rich was taking this video of my first go. Unfortunately at this point no one had explained to me that you are supposed to hold on when it reaches the end, and it will turn round and you can board back to the beginning. Hence you see me crash into the water in spectactular style, worrying that if I stayed upright any longer I was going to be boarding on the grass!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the new photos.Enjoyed the wakeboarding , Gill. judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think you look quite good at the boarding Gill....better than I could do for sure.
    I've just been catching up on your antics - looks like your getting right into the Austin lifestyle. Keep up the good blogging - loving it.
    It's strange being back and knowing that your not just over west...well I guess you are just a LOT further West ;)
    Well I head back to Oz tomorrow so I better get packing. Take care guys, Gill xx

    ReplyDelete