Wednesday 15 July 2009

4th July weekend - Fredericksburg

As Rich had the Friday off for the 4th July celebrations, we headed west to Fredericksburg, which is right in the Hill country, I guess a bit like Pitlochry in Scotland. It is a quaint wee town, with lots of unique shops for rich tourists, nice bars and restaurants, and a German theme, it having been set up by Germans in the 1840s (don't quote me on the time period, I learnt most of the facts while drinking beer in the Brewery!) As usual, there were some amusing signs I just had to take photos of. I particularly like the idea of the second shop, Mum I reckon we could spend a lot of money in there!




The next day we got up early and visited Enchanted Rock, which is a geological feature similar to Ayers Rock (in geology, not in size!)
It is pretty impressive, and as it is basically the biggest thing around, you get a great view from the top. Here are some pics of us mucking about on top of it.



I also found this cool rock which looks just like a face!


That evening we headed out to Luckenbach. It is described in the guidebooks as a town with one of the oldest dance halls in Texas. A town would be a generous word to describe what is really just two barns - one which is a post office and bar (yup, how cool is that?!) and one which is a dance hall. We had a great time watching guys two-stepping in their stetsons and cowboy boots without a hint of irony. We took to the floor a couple of times, but I think we need a bit more practice before we take these guys on!





No comments:

Post a Comment