Tuesday 26 May 2009

Wakeboarding

This weekend we headed up to Lake Travis again, but decided to avoid the nudy beaches and actually reach the water! Rich has been really keen to try wakeboarding since we got here, it ticks lots of boxes as it should be fun when it is really hot in the summer and the mountain bikes won't leave the garage, and it involves lots of adrenaline. All we need to do now is find a friend with a boat, no mean feat when we are still struggling to meet people at all! Unsurprisingly, Rich took to this like a duck to water, by the end of the session he was jumping the waves, but unfortunately I was too busy actually watching those tricks to take any photos, so you will just have to cope with an early shot of him getting used to going forward.




I was a bit more hesitant, I am not known for my love of water-related sports, and was rather shocked to see that the board straps to your feet like a snowboard. On the assumption I would fall into the water at some point (actually a guaranteed 100% certainty), surely I would sink to the bottom like a stone? Well, it turns out that the board and boots are buoyant, as is the vest you wear, so when you spend any time in the water, you float along quite happily. I was extremely relieved to find that out, and it turned out I could get on to the board, and stay on the board, like a pro.

No jumping for me, I am still struggling with pointing forward. I did feel like I was getting into a yoga stance to reach the boots, next time I am going get a smaller board where the boots are not planted so far apart, and hopefully that will help with the position. We had a great time and can't wait to get into the water again. On the way back, Greg, our teacher, showed us how it really should be done!
Rich hopes to be doing this by lesson number 3!!

And on the way home, we drove by this shop, I just couldn't pass on the opportunity for another crazy photo. I haven't dared go in yet, so no idea what flavour the dog biscuits are, maybe we can bring some home for Pippa's christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment